Newton County RecordsNewton County Court House. In 1813 Creeks still resided in this area when Governor Thorpe negotiated a treaty and the last of the Creek residents were removed from Georgia in 1833 on theTrail of Tears. Newton County was created by the Georgia General Assembly on December 24, 1821. It was named for Revolutionary War hero Sergeant John Newton and was formed from parts of Henry, Jasper, and Walton Counties. The first white settlers located in Eastern Newton County in a town then-named Winton. Settlers went further west to establish Newtonsboro. The name was later changed to Covington after General Leonard Covington, a hero in the war of 1812. In 1853 Covington was incorporated as a City. The Creek Indians roamed the land until 1813 when Governor Thorp negotiated a treaty in which the Creeks gave up their claim to the land A decade later the last of the Creek Indians were banished to Oklahoma over the "Trail of Tears." The first white settlers located in Eastern Newton County in a town then-named Winton. "The Brick Store" was built in 1822 and still stands today. Lack of adequate water caused the settlers to move further west and establish Newtonsboro. The name was later changed to Covington after General Leonard Covington, a hero in the war of 1812. In 1853 Covington was incorporated as a City. General Sherman took many treasures from Southerners and Georgians. His army marched a path of death, fire and destruction from Atlanta to Savannah. Covington residents hid their valuables in the lovely gardens of their antebellum homes. Further Research is indicated in adjoining Rockdale and DeKalb Counties.
Newton County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
- Newton County Will Book A 1820-1851 (Digital Images).Bailey, Azariah;Baker, Jordan;Bennett, Alexander;Berry, W. P.; Branan, Jonathan;Brooks, George;Brown, Martha;Buchanon, Elizabeth G.; Buchanon, Margaret;Burge, Weler;Burges, John;Burks, William;Childress, Thomas;Christian, Reuben;Churchill, Samuel;Cockrell, Thomas;Coleman, Elizabeth;Cook, Judith;Cureton, Thomas T.;Dean, John;Doss, Elizabeth; Duke, John;Duncan, John A.;Edmond, William;Fielder, Sarah A.;Fincher, John;Fretwell, Richard;Garner, Thomas W.;Gary, Hartwell;Gober, William S.;Graves, Solomon;Hail, Thomas Sr.;Hamilton, John;Hamilton, Rebecca; Hammock, Nancy;Hanson, Elizabeth;Hanson, Thomas;Harmon, Jacob; Harper, Henry A.;Harris, David;Heath, William;Hodge, James;Hodges, James;Hollingsworth, Joseph;Johnson, Henrietta;Johnson, Martha; Johnson, Nathan;Jones, Elijah;Jones, Joel;Jones, John;Kennon, Colin; Keys, Charles;Lane, George W.;Lane, Joseph;Lane, William;Laws, Joseph; Lawson, Micajah;Leak, George W.;Livington, Joseph;Lowe, Robert; Mappin, Martha;Mathews, Robert;Matthews, Jeremiah;McDonald, James; Middlebrooks, John;Moss, John;Nolan, William;Patrick, William;Payne, Lottey;Perry, Josiah;Phillips, James;Rees, Jane;Rosebury, James; Rosebury, Martha;Sanders, Charles H.;Scott, Daniel;Segall, Richard; Shell, Elizabeth;Shepherd, Ann;Ship, John;Sigles?, John;Snider, John T.;Stanton, Batt Short;Steele, Robert A.;Stewart, Samuel;Stovall, David;Summers, A.;Taylor, Josiah H.;Trimble, Moses;Tucker, Hezekiah; Wallace, William;Wallis, Thomas;Wallis, William;Webb, James;Wellborn, David;Willingham, Charles H.;Wilson, Henry;Wilsher, John;Wood, William; Worrill, Solomon;Wright, Susannah;Wyatt, Thomas B.;Zachry, James
- Newton County Will Book A, 1810-1851 (Digital Images) continuedBailey, Azariah | Baker, Jordan | Bass, Elizabeth | Bennett, Alexander | Berry, William | Branan, Jonanthan | Brooks, George | Brown, Martha | Buchannon, Margaret | Chappin, Martha | Childress, Thomas | Christian, Reuben | Churchwell, Samuel | Coleman, Elizabeth | Cook, Judith | Cowen, John | Duke, John | Duncan, John |Fincher, John | Fretwell, Richard | Garner, Thomas | Hamilton, Rebecca | Hammock, Nancy | Hanson, Elizabeth | Harmon, Joel | Harper, Henry | Heath, William | Hoague, James | Hollingsworth, Joseph | Johnston, Martha |Johnson, Henrietta | Johnson, Nathan | Jones, Joel | Jones, John |Keyes, Charles | Lane, George | Lane, Robert | Lane, William | Livingston, Joseph | McDonald, James | Mathers, Robert | Nolen, William | Patrick, William | Payne, Lettey | Perry, Josiah | Rees, Jane | Roseberry, Martha | Roseburg, James | Sanders, C. H. | Sawyers, John | Scott, Daniel | Segall, Richard | Segler, John |Shell, Elizabeth | Ship, John |Steele, Robert | Stephens, Ann |Stewart, Samuel | Summers, Alan | Tucker, Hezekiel | Wallace, William | Wallis, William | Willis, Thomas | Worrill, Solomon | Worrill, William | Wright, Susannah |
- Newton Will Book B 1851-1870 (Digital Images).Adams, John J. and James M.;Aiken, John W.;Almand, Graves B.; Ansley, Thomas;Atkisson, Jesse N.;Avery, Samuel;Bagby, Thomas J.; Bailey, Claiborn N.;Baker, John J. Belcher, Archibald;Berry, Andrew J.; Berry, Charles M.;Blake, William;Brooks, Augustus G.;Brown, WIlliam;Brownfield, Robert;Bryan, Jasper;Burge, Margaret L.; Burge, Thomas;Bush, Abraham;Bush, Harvey;Butler, Rhesa G.; Camp, S. G.;Campbell, William H.;Cheek, Thomas S.;Christian, James D.; Christian, Reubin W.;Colley, Joel;Colley, Mary;Conyers, William D.; Cook, Eliza Jane;Cunningham, George;Curtis, Thomas J.;Davis, William; Davis, William M.;Downs, Henry;Downs, Shelby;Edwards, Bennett; Ellington, Joel;Elliott, Thomas;Epps, James;Fielder, Obadiah M.; Flemister, C. A. J.;Floyd, David;Gaither, Brice T.;Gardner, Nancy; Gilbert, Instant H.;Glass, Penelope;Glass, Sanford W.;Goode, Nicholas; Granade, Timothy;Graves, Iverson L.;Graves, John W.;Graves, William; Griffin, Thomas N.;Hardin, Mary W.;Haygood, John;Hays, George; Henderson, Elizabeth;Henderson, Isaac;Hodge, Andrew;Hodge, David; Hodge, Wiley B.;Hopkins, Edith;Howell, Susannah;Humphries, Sterling; Hurst, John;Hurst, William R.;Huson, Stephen;Hyer, Thomas;Johnson, James D.;Johnson, Samuel;Johnson, Silas M.;Johnston, Hugh;Kennon, Elizabeth;Knight, James M.;Laws, Robert;Lee, Nathan;Leftwich, Joel W.; Lewis, A. R.;Lin, Charles M.;Lucas, Charles;Luckie, Jane;Luckie, William D.;Lundsford, Henry;Lyon, Thomas A.;Mann, William H.;Marbut, Joshua;Marks, Robert;Marks, Samuel;Mann, Robert;McClung, William R.; McDonald, Neal;Melton, Esther A.;Melton, Isaac;Mercer, Levi; Middlebrook, Isaac S.;Moore, Micajah;More, William;Morgan, Bennett; Moseley, Joseph C.;Neely, Thomas;Nix, Samuel Sr.;Nolen, Stephen; Parker, Isaac N.;Penn, James B.Pharr, Permelia A.;Plunket, Charles W.; Polk, Charles;Rakestraw, Robert;Rawson, Dorothy N.;Read, James;Richardson, Samuel;Richards, William B.;Roberts, Bartholomew; Robinson, W. C.;Sanders, Sarah Ann;Shumate, Rebecca;Sigman, Benjamin F.;Sigman, Elvira;Simms, Richard L.;Sims, William;Smith, John; Smith, Margaret;Smith, W. F. C.;Starr, Samuel;Starr, Silas; Starr, S. H. S.;Stewart, John R.;Strong, Charles;Tailor, Henry; Thomas,Edward Storza Sr.;Thomas, Mary;Thompson, John P.;Thompson, John; Thompson, Samuel H.;Tucker, William H.;Turner, Green;Turner, Richard; Usher, Robert O.;Walker, Mary O.;Wear, John;Webb, James;Whedbee, Eliza A.;White, Robert;Whitehead, Samuel;Wigley, James;Williams, Richard; Williams, Richard E.;Williamson, John N.;Wilson, Caroline L. D.;Woolley, Hansford D.;Wright, William;Zachry, Zadock S.
- Newton County Will Book C 1871-1896 (Digital Images).Adams, William;Aken, John;Aiken, John;Aiken, Margaret;Anderson, Joseph S.;Anderson, Newton;Anderson, William F.;Ansley, Thomas;Austin, J. A.; Avery, Samuel;Baker, James;Baker, Jesse L.;Baker, Thomas I.;Barber, Josiah;Bates, Horace J.;Beebe, Eliza Hannah;Benson, W. A.;Berry, Isham; Bird, Margaret;Blanton, A. J.;Branham, Walter R.;Brooks, Balaam;Brown, Stephen A.;Buckhannon, Elizabeth;Burns, John G.;Camp, Martha; Chaplin, Elizabeth A.;Chapman, Elmore;Clark, William White;Conyers, Rebecca;Cook, David C.; Cook, James T.;Cook, William;Corley, James; Cowan, Alexander;Cowan, William; Cox, Cary;Cureton, Alfred M.; David, Eudocia;Davis, William G.;Dial, John;Downs, Henry;Floyd, John J.; Floyd, Mary;Franklin, John;Fulton, Francis;Gardner, Elizabeth;Garther, Henry;Gibson, William N.;Graves, Henry;Graves, Sarah;Gray, Sarah C.; Graves, Amanda;Griffin, John;Guice, Mary Ann;Hale, John;Hamby, Mary A.; Harp, Elizabeth;Harper, Henry;Harris, John;Harris, W. E.;Harvey, Hester;Harwell, Jackson;Hayes, John;Henderson, Ruth;Henderson, ictoria; Hewell, Martha;Hewell, Susannah;Hicks, Tinsey;Hill, Martha A.;Hodge, James;Hodgins, Alley;Hollis, Bartley M.;Horton, Martha Jane;Hough, Sylvester A.;Howard, Robert;Hunter, Nicholas P.;Hurst, John;Jackson, John;Jarmon, Lewis;Jones, John;Jones, M. A.;Kelly, R. S.;Kennon, Sarah J.;King, James;King, Samuel A.;Langley, William M.;Lazenby, William; Leak, Elizabeth;Lee, William;Livingston, Leonidas;Livingston, Robert B.;Lowery, William W. J.;Loyd, Green B.;Loyd, Washington;Luckie, Jane; McCracken, W. D.;McKee, Samuel;Melton, Alfred;Melton, Amanda;Mercer, Levi;Mercer, Nancy A.;Middlebrook, P.;Mims, Elizabeth;Mixon, Elijah; Mixon, S. B. (Mrs.);Moore, Micajah;Morgan, Henrietta;Morgan, Thomas; Morley, William;Nichols, Mary;Nolen, S.;Parker, D. M.;Parks, William J.;Parmer, D. P.;Penn, James;Perry, Henry B.;Polson, Mark;Powers, William;Reynolds, Amos P.;Reynolds, Permelius;Richards, Henry P.; Rivers, Carrie;Robinson, James H.;Scott, S. A., Mrs.;Scott, William W.; Shepherd, Thomas;Sigman, F. M.;Simms, Andrew Benjamin;Simms, J. P.; Skinner, John;Smith, A. J.;Smith, Hilliard J.;Smith, Jane M.;Sockwell, John;Stafford, J. H.;Stanton, Henry;Starr, Silas;Stewart, James;Stewart, J. S.;Thompson, A. J.;Thompson, Nathan;Thompson, Nancy; Thompson, Samuel;Thrasher, David;Travis, A. C. W.;Underwood, Robert B.; Usher, Frances A.;Vining, E. H.;Waldrop, Milton; Wallace, Z. P.; Watford, Henry;Weaver, Isham;Webb, Ann;Webb, John;Weisser, Jacob?; Wells, William;Wheeler, George W.;Willingham, Charles;Willingham, Wilkins;Wilson, William M.;Wood, Mary R.;Wright, Christopher; Wright, Moriah;Yarbrough, John W.;Zachry, Lewis
- Newton County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Newton County Births (1888-1904).
Appling | Banks| Baker| Bartow| Berrien| Baldwin| Bibb| Brooks| Bryan| Bulloch| Burke| Butts| Camden| Campbell| Carroll| Cass (also see Bartow)| Catoosa| Charlton| Chatham| Chattooga| Chattahoochee| Cherokee| Clarke| Clay| Clayton| Clinch| Cobb| Coffee| Columbia| Coweta| Crawford| Dade| Dawson| Decatur| Dekalb| Dodge| Dooly| Dougherty| Douglas| Early| Echols| Effingham| Elbert| Emanuel| Fannin| Fayette| Floyd| Forsyth| Franklin| Fulton| Gilmer| Glascock| Glynn| Greene| Gwinnett| Habersham| Hall| Hancock| Haralson| Harris| Hart| Heard| Henry| Houston| Irwin| Jackson| Jasper| Jefferson| Johnson| Jones| Laurens| Lee| Liberty| Lincoln| Lowndes| Macon| Madison| Marion| McDuffie| McIntosh| Meriwether| Milton| Mitchell| Morgan| Monroe| Murray| Muscogee| Newton| Oglethorpe| Paulding| Peach | Pickens | Pierce | Pike | Polk | Pulaski | Putnam | Rabun | Randolph | Richmond | Rockdale | Schley | Screven | Spalding | Stewart | Sumter | Talbot | Taliaferro | Tattnall | Taylor | Telfair | Terrell | Thomas | Towns| Troup| Twiggs| Union| Upson| Walker| Walton| Ware | Warren | Washington | Wayne | White | Whitfield | Wilkes| Wilkinson | Worth
Marriages, bible records, traced families, pensions, cemeteries, obituaries, and much more. For more details, please What's What
Subscribe now and become a Member
FreebiesGeorgia Historical videos
American Pioneer Series
How to Trace Families
Remember Me: Photos
Back Issues of Lost Generations
Best Genealogy Blogs
Old Georgia Families
Other Excellent GENEALOGY WEBSITES
Subscribe and view documents
"Find your Ancestors on Georgia Pioneers"
"Subscribe and view documents"