Greene County was created from Washington County in 1786 and was named after Revolutionary War hero Major-General Nathaniel Greene who issued many land grants to his veteran troops. After the war, Greene and wife Catharine built a home near Savannah called
Mulberry Plantationbut Green soon died, on June 19, 1786. In 1825 parts of Greene County were used to help create Taliaferro County as well as Oglethorpe and Clarke Counties between 1794 and 1877. The County Seat is Greensboro [originally spelled Greensborough and named for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene]. Early Settlers: John Adams, John Armor, Richard Bailey, James Blythe, Walker Brockman, Edward Cannon, Joseph Carmichael, James Fuller, Hugh Hall, John Jeter, Edward Lumpkin, Phillemon Martin, Landon Palmer, James Stewart, Thomas Thompson Sr., and William H. Watts.
Greene County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Origins of Settlers
- Origins of Early Greene County Settlers.
Testators: Akins, James; Alexander, Samuel; Alford, Julius ;Allison, Alfred; Anderson, Clayborn ;Asbury, Martha; Astin, Robert; Baker, John; Baldwin, Henry; Baldwin, Samuel; Barnhart, Charles; Baugh, Peter; Beatie, John ;Bedell, Isaac; Bedell, John ;Bethune, Lauchlin ;Bishop, Stephen; Blasingame, Philip; Bobbet, Martha; Bookes, Permelia; Booles, Jesse ;Booles, William ;Bradshaw, Elijah; Brinkley, Joshua; Brown, Elizabeth; Bullock, Edward ;Bunch, Austin; Caldwell, Littleton; Chapman, Randa;l Cheney, John ;Chew, John ;Clifton, Curtis ;Cobb, Thomas ;Cochran, Abner; Cole, Duke; Cole, John; Coles, John ;Coleman, Eden; Coleman, John; Coleman, Matthew; Coleman, Nancy; Colt, John; Cone, Ezekie;l Cone, William; Corry, Alexander ;Corry, William; Coslin, Isaac; Cox, Francena; Crawford, Thomas; Crawford, William; Culp, David; Cummins, Francis; Daniel, Samuel ;Davenport, Burkett; Dawson, George Sr.; Deshazor, Martha; Dysart, Charity; Eason, Abner; Edwards, Harvey; Eley, Jesse; Edmundson, Samuel; Fambrough, Thomas; Fears, William ;Figgs, William; Findley, James ;Floyd, Shadrick; Foster, Arthur ;Fouche, Jonas ;Fretwell, William; Fuller, Elijah ;Furlow, David; Garrett, John; Gatlin, James ;Gilliam, Robert; Gooch, Nathan; Greene, Ruthy; Greene, William ;Greer, Thomas; Gresham, Archibald; Grier, Robert; Grimes, Thomas; Gwin, Lucy ;Haralson, Jonathan; Harris, Jordan ;Harris, William ;Hays, Hugh; Heard, Abraham ;Hill, John; Hodge, John; Houghton, Joshua; Houghton, Joshua Sr. ;Houghton, Matthew ;Houghton, Thomas ;Howell, Ann; Hubbard, Thomas ;Hunt, John; Hunter, Elisha ;Jackson, David; Jackson, Jeremiah ;Jenkins, James ;Jenkins, Lewis; Jett, Daniel; Johnson, Charles; Johnson, Thomas; Kenady, James; Kimbrough, Josiah; King, Drury ;Lancaster, Samuel; Lanier, Henry ;Lee, Elizabeth; Lee, William ;Leonard, Irbane; Lewis, Sarah; Lindsey, Clarissa ;Lindsey, Jeremiah; Maddox, Clayborn ;Maddox, Josiah; Martin, Benjamin; Martin, James; Martin, Lucretia; Martin, Mary; May, Major; McCombs, Andrew ;Merritt, John; Merritt, William ;Mitchell, Jacob; Moon, Jeremiah; Moore, Ransom ;Mosley, Lewis; Neal, Sarah; Nelson, Christiana ;Parks, Ezekiel; Parrish, Joel ;Parrott, Benjamin; Pattillo, John ;Payn, John; Perkins, Sarah ;Perkins, Walker ;Phillips, George; Phillips, Mark; Porter, Oliver; Reynolds, James; Rice, Mary ;Riley, Thomas; Roberts, Daniel; Robinson, James; Sayers, David Sr.; Scogin, Right; Seymour, Eralbton; Sherrill, David; Simonton, Joel ;Simonton, Robert; Slaughter, John; Smith, James; Smith, Nancy ;Smith, Peyton; Smith, Reuben ;Smith, William ;Stanley, Sherwood; Starkes, Thomas; Stepp, John; Stoutamin, Newell ;Stovall, George; Strangfellow, Amy ;Swinney, William; Talley, William; Terrell, David; Terrell, Elizabeth; Terrell, Thomas ;Thaxton, Nathaniel; Thompson, James ;Thornton, Redman ;Todd, Henry ;Veazey, Ezekiel; Vincent, Nancy ;Vincent, William ;Walker, Edwin ;Wallis, Nancy; Watson, Catharine ;Watson, Joseph ;Watson, William B. ;Watts, Jubal; Watts, William ;Welles, Matthew; West, Francis; West, John Jr. ;Williams, Jessie ;Wilson, John; Wilson, Thomas; Wilson, William ;Woodard, Martha ;Woodham, Edward ;Wright, Robert; Wright, Zacheus; Wright, ZebulonGreene County Wills
- Greene County Wills 1796-1806 (abstracts).
- Index to Greene County Estates, Inventories, Bk A.
- Index to Greene County Estates, Inventories, Bk B.
- General Index to all of Greene County Wills 1798-1914.
- General Index to all of Greene County Estates 1790-1943.
- General Index to all of Greene County Guardian Bonds, etc. 1790-1943.
- Index to Greene County Administrator's and Guardian's Bonds, 1812-1858.
- Index to Greene County Wills and Appraisements, Book 1, 1786-1806.
- Index to Greene County Wills and Appraisements, Book 2, 1794-1810.
- Index to Greene County Wills and Appraisements, Book 3, 1806-1816.
- Index to Greene County Wills and Appraisements, Book 4, 1817-1842.
- Index to Greene County Wills and Appraisements, Book 5, 1840-1877.
- Index to Greene County Minutes of the Superior Court 1822-1827
- Index to Greene County Minutes of the Superior Court 1831-1839
- Greene County Marriages 1769-1850.
- Greene County Marriage Licenses.
- Greene County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Greene County Marriage Contracts found in Deeds and Other Documents.
- 1811 Greene County Tax Digest (Digital Image).
- Gilbert, Benjamin, LWT (1786-1795) (Digital Image).
- Heard, Thomas, LWT (1807) (Digital Image).
- Holland, Henry. (digital images of original estate papers).
- Holland, Lawson S. (digital images of original estate papers).
- Holland, Thomas. (digital images of original estate papers).
- Kennedy, William, LWT (1793)(Digital Image).
- McLane, William (1841) Estate, Loose Papers (Digital Image
"Find your Ancestors on Georgia Pioneers"
"Subscribe and view documents"