Sumter County Records
Sumter County Court House. Sumter County was founded in 1832 from Lee County and was the site of 3 hospitals for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. The famous confederate prison
Andersonvillewas located here where many northern soldiers died as a result of cruel treatment. The surrounding town and plantations, suffering themselves, share food with the prisoners but history fails to give this account. County Seat: Americus. Early Settlers: Oliver Griffith, Samuel Bivins, Wright Brady, Lewis Bruner, John Cowart, Ebenezer Cottle, James Cato, William Dupree, John Fletcher.
Click on Me
Sumter County Databases Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Sumter County Marriages
- Sumter County Marriages 1833-1850
- Sumter County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Sumter County Wills 1831-1900 (abstracts).
- Index to Sumter County Will Bk OO, 1838 to 1855.
- Index to Sumer County Annual Returns, Vouchers, Appraisements, 1850 to 1870
- Brinkley, Benjamin H., deceased. Bond for Temporary Letters of Administration (1854).
- Powell, John, LWT (Digital Image)(1863).
- Powell, William, LWT (Digital Image) (1863).
Subscribe to 8 genealogy websites. Easy access.
Click here to take advantage