Monroe County Records
Monroe County Court House. The first court house was built 1825 in Forsyth and served the community until 1895 or 1896 when a two-story brick edifice was erected. Monroe County was created on May 15, 1821 by an Act of the General Assembly after Creek Indians ceded lands between the Ocmulgee and Flint rivers on Jan. 8, 1821 in the first Treaty of Indian Springs. The land was istributed by the 1821 land lottery and named for James Monroe, President of the US. Later, portions of Monroe County were used to create the following counties: Bibb and Pike in 1822; Butts in 1825 and Lamar in 1920. Many families who lived in Bibb County also resided in Monroe.
Click on Me
Monroe County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Digital Images of Monroe County Wills 1824-1847
Testators: Adams, Benjamin; Allison, David; Allright, David; Alston, Charity; Barron, Willis; Beall, James ;Beckham, Thomas; Bird, Clarissa ;Bird, James ;Bivins, Samuel ;Black, William ;Brantley, Benjamin; Brantley, Jeptha; Brantley, Nancy; Brewer, Henry; Cabaniss, Eldridge; Chancely, William; Chapman, Isaiah; Chappell, John ;Clower, Jesse; Clower, John ;Cochran, John ;Cohron, Elizabeth ;Colbert, James ;Colbert, John ;Colbert, William ;Coleman, David; Coleman, Robert ;Collier, Cuthbert ;Congleton, Allen; Cook, Nathaniel ;Cowles, Judith; Crowder, Frederick; Culloden, William ;Curry, Elijah ;Darden, Jethro; Darden, Stephen; Darden, William; Davis, Thomas ;Dillard, Arthur; Douglas, Miller; Dunn, Jone ;Dunn, Obedience; Durham, Matthew; Durham, Singleton; Durham, Thomas ;Durkee, Lewis; Dyess, Thomas; Edge, Obadiah; Edwards, John; Elder, Catharine ;Evans, John ;Fambrough, William ;Finch, Robert ;Fleming, James; Freeman, Edward; Freeman, Mathew; Freeman, Polly ;Gibson, Churchill; Gibson, John; Goggins, Abraham; Greer, John ;Hagood, Benjamin ;Hagood, Benjamin; Hamlin, Richard; Hamlin, Richard (2) ;Hanson, William; Harman, Zachariah; ;Harman, Zachariah (2)Harris, John ;Heath, Benjamin ;Hickman, John ;Hill, Henry ;Hogan, James; Hogan, William; Horn, John; Hudgens, Josiah ;Hunt, Turner Sr. ;Hunter, David; Jenkins, Francis; Johnson, Angus ;Johnson, Gideon ;Johnson, Larkin; Johnston, Archer ;Jones, Zedock; Jordan, Theophilus ;Keadle, Jeremiah ;Kelsey, Noah ;Lockett, Anna; Lockett, Cullen; Low, James; Malone, William; Mann, John Sr. ;McCary, Elizabeth; McGinty, Robert; McMullen, Fielder; Middlebrooks, Robert ;Middleton, John ;Milner, Peter; Mitchell, Margaret; Monk, John ;Moore, Joseph ;Morgan, James B. ;Moody, Jabez; Nelson, William S.; Nun, William; Owen, John; Partridge, William; Penn, Edmund; Phillips, Obadiah; Phillips, William ;Pinckard, James ;Pittman, John ;Ponder, John; Ponder, Margaret ;Pool, William; Pope, Jesse ;Pope, Wiley; Pratt, John (deed) ;Pye, Ann; Roberson, Mary; Rogers, John; Rogers, John (2) ;Rogers, Wiley ;Rutland, Riddick; Slack, John ;Smith, Augustus G. ;Smith, John D.; Smith, Seaton ;Stallings, John; Stallings, Sarah; Standard, John ;Stubblefield, Catharine; Switzer, Bird ;Tatum, Milly ;Taylor, Eden; Turner, Abednego; Turner, Ezekiah; Vandiver, Marcus; Walker, Sylvanus; Wallace, Mary; Wallis, Richard ;Watson, Benjamin; Watson, John Sr. ;Wilder, William ;Williams, William; Wilson, John; Wilson, Larkin ;Womack, Abraham; Wood, Henry ;Woodard, Orren ;Woodward, KeziahMonroe County Wills (abstracts)
- Monroe County Wills 1824-1847 (abstracts).
- Monroe County Wills 1848-1875 (abstracts).
- Monroe County Wills 1868-1878 (abstracts).
- Monroe County Wills 1876-1927 (abstracts).
- Index to Monroe County Wills 1824-1847
- Index to Monroe County Wills 1866-1876
- Index to Monroe County Miscellaneous Estates 1861-1869.
- Index to Monroe County Annual Returns, 1823-1858.
- Bass, Joshua (estate)
- Browning, Elizabeth deed to Marcus Culpepper (Digital Image).
- Chambliss, John, LWT (1879) (Digital Image).
- Chambless, Thomas, Guardian of Charles J. Chambless (Digital Image).
- Chambliss, Zachariah, LWT (1874) (Digital Image).
- Ethridge, E. N., Estate, Z. H. Chambless, executor (Digital Image).
- Evans, Elizabeth, estate (Digital Image).
- Evans, Thomas, estate (Digital Image).
- Harman, Rebecha, LWT (1830), transcription.
- Head, George W., LWT (1898) and (1956) (digitalImages0
- Head, Peter estate)(digital image)
- Head, W. H. (1887) digital images)
- Joiner, Hiram P. Estate (Digital Image).
- Job Taylor deed to Eli B. Browning (Digital Image).
- 1821 Monroe County Boundary Map
- 1822 Monroe County Map
- 1865 Monroe County Map
- 1915 Forsyth Map
- Monroe County Marriages 1824-1850 (transcription).
- Monroe County Index to Marriages 1824-1845 (from county)
- Monroe County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
Subscribe to 8 genealogy websites. Easy access.
Click here to take advantage