Chatham County Court House Records
(Probate, Estates, Wills, etc.)
The Site of Savannah was established and drawn out by General James Oglethorpe. This is the seat of the first English settlement in Georgia. 114 persons came with Oglethorpe on his first voyage and erected huts with saw-palm roofs. Within a year, over one hundred wooden homes were constructed, while vessels transported more settlers. Several parishes governed the area, viz: Christ Church, St. Andrews, and St. Marys. After the Revolutionary War, the parishes were dispensed with as boundaries and counties established. Chatham was named for William Lord Pitt, Earl of Chatham. Many prominent citizens emerged from the first settlers into the settled gentry and poltical figures. During the American Revolution, Loyalists marked as traitors escaped into Florida and to Bermuda where they established plantations. If you have lost someone from this period, that is where to search!
Earliest Settlers: Charles Alexander, Michael Bottomley, Jonathan Clark, Raymond Demere, Thomas Dawson, William Gilbert, John Houstoun, William Jordan, Alexander Lesley, David Montaigut, William Mortimer, John Mackay, Charles Ogilvie, Daniel Pendleton, Augustus Rogers, Richard Seymore, Nicholas Witzen, and Nathaniel Zettler.
Click on Me
Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers.comChatham Wills 1781-1824 (abstracts)
Chatham Misc. Wills (abstracts)
Chatham Will Book B (1777-1787) Digital Images.Testators: Chatham County Will Book B (1777-1787) Allman, Philip; Ardis, Mathias; Anderson, John; Baillou, James; Bard, Peter; Ballew, Elizabeth; Bourquin, Henry; Bowen, Samuel; Bowles, John; Brown, John; Bulloch, Archibald; Campbell, John; Cater, John; Christopher, Jacob; Clark, Henry; Cuthbert, George; Darthingan, John; Davies, Edward; Dawson, Mary; Delegal, George; Deveaux, James; Dixon, James; Ewen, Margaret; Ewen, William; Farley, Benjamin; Ferguson, Joshua; Fincher, William; Fox, Ann; Fox, John Sr.; Fox, Joseph; Fox, Richard; Fox, William Sr.; Germain, Priscilla; Gibbons, William; Girardeau, John Bohun; Growley, John; Guion, Richard; Gwinnett, Button; Harbeck, Michael; Harris, Francis Henry; Houstoun, Sir Patrick; Howler, Richard; Janson, James; Jones, Noble; Kieffer, David; Larkin, Edward; Lee, Thomas; Lewis, Francis; Lewis, Oliver; Lloyd, Rebecca; MacFarlane, Susanah; Mackay, James; Martin, John; Matthias, John; Maxwell, James; McLean, Andrew; McIntosh, John; Morgan, Thomas; Mullryne, Charles; Nelson, Malcolm; Nunager, Henry; Otner, Elizabeth; Palmer, George; Papot, James; Parker, Ann; Preston, Henry; Pryce, Charles Jr.; Rabenhorst, Ann Barbara; Rae, John; Raynes, Joseph; Readick, Peter; Remetefler, John Matthias; Remshardt, Johannes; Robe, Frances; Rolfe, Frederick; Ross, William; Rush, Joseph Jr.; Savage, Thomas; Scaf?, Granger; Simmons, John; Simpson, Winifred; Sisfritz, George; Smith, John (in 5 parts); Sommerville, Jane; Steadwick, Alexander; Stirk, John; Stone, Elizabeth; Thompson, William; Threadcraft, George; Tondee, Peter; Turner, Lewis; Walker, Charles; Wells, Andrew Elton; Whelock, Thomas; Wylly, William Young, Isaac Young, WilliamChatham Will Bk C Digital Images (1788-1791)Testators:Beal, Helena Boldon, Robert Sr.; Bryan, Jonathan; Butler, Elizabeth; Butler, Shem; Clarke, Weston; Clyatt, James; Cohen, Philip Jacob; Copp, John; Davis, William; Densler, Henry; Deveaux, William; Elliott, Thomas; Farley, John; Furse, James; Gable, Abraham; Gaffe, Jane; Galache, James;Gibbons, Sarah; Gibson, Robert; Gugel, John; Hallen, Robert; Harden, William;Harn, Samuel;Harris, Mordica; Herb, Frederick;Krutman, Edward;Mann, John;Miller, Robert;Mills, Thomas;Moore, Aaron;Moore, Catherine;Moore, John;Moss, Sarah; Murdock, David;Neilson, Nicholas;Nunes, Moses;Nungazer, George; Oats, John;Ogden, Solomon;Peay, Job;Penman, John;Porcher, Paul; Ross, Donald;Russell, Jane;Savage, Mary Elliott;Shad, Catherine; Spencer, George;Stiles, Benjamin;Tessier, Stephen;Tuft, S.; Warren, Jeremiah;Wiggins, EdmundChatham Will Bk D (1801-1807) Digital ImagesTestators: Beecroft, Samuel;Bolton, Robert;Corker, William;Davans, James;Dickinson, Thomas;Duncel, Barbara;Forbes, Diane;Forsyth, Benjamin;Gardiner, John;Gibbons, William;Glen, John;Green, Richard;Haist, George;Harsten, Joachim;Helbert, Mary; Herson, Herman;Hobbs, John;Horn, Mary Elizabeth;Hunter, William; Jamieson, John;Johnson, Andrew;Johnston, Matthew;Keall, David; Kern, John Peter;Livingston, John;Lovett, Francis;MacLeod, Donald; McAllister, Richard;McCormick, Samuel;Minis, Leah;Moore, Susannah; Morel, John;Mossman, John;Muire, Sarah;Neyle, William;Parker, Anne;Rice, John;Robertson, Andrew;Robertson, James;Sandridge, Daniel;Shick, Frederick;Schumaker, Peter;Storie, John;Tattnall, Josiah Jr.;Tew, P.;Thompson, Jane;Turner, Lewis;Walker, RachelChatham Will Bk E (1791-1801) Digital ImagesTestators:Anderson, Elizabeth; Barnwell, John; Beatty, John;Beck, Sophia;Bell, David;Bell, John;Bell, William; Bourquin, Jane Judith;Brownhill, Thomas;Brisbane, James;Buchanan, Nicholas;Bull, Absalom;Clarke, Jonathan;Crane, Matthew;Currie, John;Davies, Frances;Day, Sarah;Dechenaux, Thomas;Demere, Raymond; DeLuthorson; Devilles, John Anthony; Doder, Samuel;Dumousay, Monsieur;Dunlap, Joseph;Erick, Catherine;Evans, Jonathan;Evans, Martha;Ferrier, John;Floyd, Margaret;Fox, David;Fox, John;Fulford, James Haviland;Gibbons, Hannah;Gibbons, Joseph;Gilbert, William; Gilzean, John;Hanner, Nicholas;Higgins, Ichabod;Jarvis, John; Jones, Henrietta B.;Jones, Lewis;Jordan, William;Keller, George Adam;Kerr, Elizabeth;Loyer, Adrian;Loyd, Thomas;Lowrey, John; Mackay, James;Minis, Abigail;Montaigut, David;Mortimer, William; Mossman, James;Murray, John;Norden, Leon;Nunazer, Mary Appolonia; Oakman, William; Oatt, Barbara; Ogilvie, Charles; Osteen, Thomas; Pendleton, Daniel; Radaguey, Charles; Rae, Robert; Read, James; Richardson, George;Ring, Christopher;Ring, John;Roberts, John; Roberts, John H.;Robison, Jane;Rogers, Augustus;Ross, Hugh; Ruppert, John;Scranton, Daniel;Seymore, Richard;Silsby, Daniel (24 pp.);Simpson, James;Smith, John;Smith, John Carraway;Spalding, James;Stebbins, Francis;Stirk, Samuel;Thompson, William;Trenfield, Mary; Treutlen, Frederick; Valbotton, Moses; Veasy, Abraham; Wallace, William;Wardburger, Jacob (6 pp.); Watts, Joseph; Way, Martha;Wereat, John;Whitfield, Elizabeth;Wilkins, Ann; Witzen, Nicholas;Woodhouse, Robert;Zettler, NathanielChatham Will Bk F (1801-1807) Digital ImagesTestators:Allen, Robert; Bowen, Clover; Chew, Benjamin;Fox, Susannah;Cross, Sarah;Cruvellier, William; Dillon, Christiana, wife of Robert;Elliott, Ralph E.;Glen, John; Green, Richard; Houstoun, Joachim;Jemison, John;Jones, Noble Wimberly;Mackay, Adam;McCredie, Andrew;McIntosh, Lachlan;Macleod, Donald;McCredie, Andrew; McKnight, Mary Ann;Morel, John; Mossman, James; Neyle, William; Rice, John; Spencer, John;Stone, John; Thompson, Jane; Turner, Lewis; Ulmer, Philip; Wilscher, JosephChatham Will Bk G (1807-1817) Digital ImagesTestators: Achord, Lewis;Adams, Nathaniel Sr.; Alder, James;Alendanone, Joseph;Aleion, Ann;Barnard, Mary; Beatty, Eleanor;Becu, Abraham;Beecroft, Elizabeth Ann;Boyd, Charles;Brailsford, Elizabeth, widow of Samuel;Brickell, John; Brooks, Benjamin;Bryan, Joseph;Buckhalter, Joshua;Buire, Francis;Buffett, George;Campbell, George;Campbell, Martha Gadsden; Cochran, Jane;Courvois, John Francis William;Crane, John; Crawford, William;Cummins, Esther;Cuthbert, James;Cuthbert, Lewis G.;Davis, Elizabeth;Davis, Joseph;Dawson, Joseph;DeGrandmont, Jacques Philips Rossignol; Densler, Barbara, daughter of Henry; Densler, Michael;Densler, Michael estate continued;Deakins, William Jr.;Despinfer;Deubele, John;DeVillers, F. D.;Dixon, Joseph;Doon, John;Dotson, Celia;Driscoll, Margaret;Enne, George; Farley, Grace;Farley, Sarah;Feay, Obediah;Ferguson, Mary;Fraser, John L.;Fraser, Mary;Gaddy, Joseph;Germain, Michael;Gibbons, Barack;Gibbons, John;Gibbons, John Barton;Gibson, Robert S.; Ginovely, Mary;Gunn, Christopher;Gunn, James;Habersham, James; Hale, NathanieL; Harlick, John;Harper, Ann;Harris, Jack; Harrison, Edward;Hartsene, Benjamin;Hendley, John U.;Herd, Catherine;Hill, Joseph M.;Hogg, Eunice;Hogg, Thomas;Holmes, Joseph B.;Houstoun, Richard D.;Hugenin, Daniel;Hughes, Owin;Hulse, Justus;Hurd, George;Hutchinson, Elisa;Imfield, Anthony;Irvine, Ann Elizabeth, wife of John;Jaffray, Alexander;Johnston, David;Johnston, James;Johnston, Sarah;Jones, Sarah (Mrs.);Jones, Sarah, widow of Dr. Jones;Kiefer, David;Latour, Peter Grassett; Lecon, Nina, wife of David;Leubin, Jean;Lewden, William;Lewis, Christianna;Lloyd, Edward;Lovett, John;Lucena, Lucas;Maclean, John;McAllister, George;McIntosh, Henry;McKinty, Patrick;McQueen, Ann;McQueen, Elizabeth, wife of Alexander;McLeod, Francis; Mendenhall, Thomas;Millen, John;Miller, Susanna;Miller, Zachariah; Minis,Isaac;Morel, John;Mulcaster, George;Myers, George;Narzarett, Nicholas;Neyle, James;Norton, Elijah;Odingsell, Charles;O'keel, Patrick;Owins, Owen;Page, Joseph;Payart, C. Louis;Pelot, Francis; Pitt, Thomas;Platt, James;Portalis, Joseph;Port, William F.; Proctor, George V.;Read, Jacob;Rigger, Levin;Roney, Daniel; Roper, William;Savery, John;Scott, Charles;Scott, Gavin;Scull, Ann;Shaffer, Balthaser;Shaw, William;Sheftall, Levi;Simons, Saul; Sims, James;Smith, Elizabeth;Smith, Jane;Spencer, William Henry; Starr, John (or Stow);Stebbins, Rebecca;Stebere?, Peter;Stiles, Richard M.;Stuart, Ann;Stutz, Joseph;Tapenzie, John B.; Tattnall, Josiah Jr.;Taylor, Ann;Tebeau, John;Telfair, Edward; Thompson, Lewis B.;Threadcraft, Elizabeth;Tidd, Benjamin; Tiott, Charles;Trusbet, Charles;Tuffs, Jane;Turner, Joseph; Ullam, John;Valloton, Elizabeth;Vernon, Michael;Villeponboux, Jane, widow of Benjamin;Wayne, Richard;Whitefield, George; Whitefield, Joseph;Williams, Jordan;Williams, Thomas F.; Williamson, John C.;Wills, Elijah;Willson, William;Wilson, William;Wilson, Mary M.;Wood, James;Woolf, John;Wright, Sarah, wife of James Wright, baronet;Young, Elizabeth;Young, Margaret
Chatham Will Bk H (1817-1827) Digital ImagesTestators: Ahart, Jacob; Antonio, John; Arnee, Juan Bastista; Ashley, Mary A. F. Augund, Thomas; Baker, Artemus Mitchell; Baldwin, David; Barnard, John; Bass, Samuel; Bellenger, B. B.; Black, William; Blackwell, Sarah; Boguille, Joseph; Bond, Phineas; Bourquin, Benedict; Bourquin, Henry; Bowler, Eliza C.; Branbury, John; Bruce, Aldxander; Bulloch, Mary; Cantrell, Peter; Cessar, Peter; Christie, Ann; Clark, Charity; Clark, James; Clay, Ann; Clone, Jonathan; Collins, William; Cooper, William; Courvois, John Francis William; Cowper, Mary; Crawford, William; Curran, Charles; Davies, Thomas; Dawson, Mary; Dennart, Elizabeth; Douglass, Amos; duhamel, Rene Francis Robert Landon; Dungren, William; Dunn, James; Eppinger, John; Ewing, Robert S.; Favard, Peter; Fell Elizabeth Susannah; Flournoy, Robert; Forrest, James; Fox, Josiah; Fox, William B.; Gardiner, John; Gibbons, Thomas; Gizorme, John Pete; Groves, Peter; Gruber, Rachel M.; Gugal, Mary; Guger, John Christopher; Hall, Ann; Hamilton, Ann; Hamilton, James; Harden, Thomas; Hutson; Harrison, Martin; Hartredge, John E.; Herb, George; Hoschkiss, Mary Ann, consort of Daniel; Houstoun, Ann; Houstoun, Sarah;Howard, Benjamin; Howard, Charles; Howard, Peter; Hunk, Christian F.; Hurst, Harriet; Johnson, Thomas; Johnston, James; Jones, Elizabeth; Jones, Noble Wimberly; Jones, Owen ;Jordan, Henry W., Dr.; Kelly, William; Kieffer, Henry; Kingston, George; Kollock, Henry; Kollock, Lemuel; Lawler, Howard; Lawson, John; Leffer, John; Lehay, Michael; Lewis, Jonathan;Lillibridge, John; Limbert, William; Lincoln, Robert, Dr.; Lloyd, Thomas Edward Long, Michael Loper, Ara Lovett, John; Lucena, Thomas; Martingale, Love; McAllister, Hannah; McCall, Hugh;McClaren, Archibald; McFarlane, Peter; McIntosh, Mary;McKenzie, Daniel W.; McKinney, Roger; McKoy, Henry;McQueen, John; Melrose, Thomas ;Menafee, Serenius; Mendenhall, Thomas; Milledge, John; Miller, Hannah Christiana; Miller, Stephen; Minis, Judith; Mitchell, Esther; Moore, James; Moreau, Peter M. ;Morgan, Anne; Nun, Elizabeth; Nungezer, Georg;e O'Neal, Mary;; Owens, Louisa; Palmer, Charlotte Ann; Patterson, Arthur Pente, Richard J. T.; Pervical, Warren; Polock, Rachel; Pray, John; Rawlin, Anthony Rene; Richards, Hannah Barbara Robbins, Thomas H.; Roma, Francis; Ross, Abner; Roudol, Edm.; Royston, William; Rutherford, Marie Catharine; Sanders, Mary; Sandland, John; Savage, Benjamin; Scaffino, Andrew; Schlosser, Matthias; Shaw, William; Sheftall, Francis; Sheftall, Pula; Skipwith, Charles; Smilley, John; Smith, Elizabeth; Smith, John; Sorey, Andrew; Stark, Ebenezer; Stephens, William; Stevens, Mary; Stevens, Thomas; Stewart, Charles; Stout, George; Stoaf, Isidore; Taliman, Francis; Telfair, Thomas; Thirp, Thomas; Tobler, Ulrich W.; Trucheliet, Joseph; Tufts, Gardner; Turnbull, Nichol; Wakerly, John; Warren, Nestor, Dr.; Watts, Leleah, wife of Robert; White, James; Williams, Bryan; Wilson, Elsey; Wilson, Le;ighton; Worrell, Robert; Wylly, Mary; Young, ChristianaChatham Will Bk I (1827-1840) Digital ImagesTestators: Autry, Margaret;Bain, Sarah Ann; Bandy, William;Barfield, Josiah;Barnard, John W.;Barnard, William; Bell, Eleanor F.;Bevan, Joseph V.;Bond, Ann;Bourquin, David; Bourquin, Mary;Brooks, Sarah;Brown, George;Brown, Harriet T.; Bryan, Josiah;Clark, Samuel;Cook, Martha;Cunningham, Michael; Davis, Edward;Davies, William;Delegal, Edward;Delamotte, Sarah; Dubesque, Jean Baptiste;Dunn, William;Early, Jane M.;Fisher, Michael;Fowlar, James;Garrar?, Dorcas M.;Green, Stephen C.; Greene, Harmon D.;Hall, Joseph;Harbert, Joseph B.;Harris, Charles; Holmes, Elizabeth;Isaac, Robert;Johnson, James;Kary?, H. M.; Kollock, Mehetabel, widow;Marshall, William;McNiel, Diana, widow of Daniel;McVean, John;Mougin, David;Nichols, Abraham;Norris, Sarah Hill, wife of James B.;Norton, William;Pendergast, Patrick; Penfield, Elizabeth Lucretia;Pidge, David;Pope, William; Ratry, Margaret;Raynes, Mary;Rice, Thomas;Russell, Jane M.; Scott, William C.;Shad, Solomon;Shaffer, Hannah;Sheftall, Esther; Sheftall, Moses;Smith, Frances Sophie;Storm, John (Major); Strother, Abram;Tattnall, Edward;Telfair, Alexander;Telfair, Sarah;Timothy, David;Tippen, James Josiah;Varn, Benjamin; Waring, Jacob;Waters, Sarah;Wells, Andrew;Whitfield, John; Wightman, William;Wilkins, Martha;Wilkins, Pam;Wilson, Benjamin; Wood, EzekielChatham County Will Book K, 1839-1852 (Digital Images)Testators: Askew, Ann;Bernard, Timothy;Bryan, P. O.; Buffet, Marianne;Bullock, W. G.;Carter, Charles;Carter, Cyrus; Cherrier, Michael;Cobb, Mary;DeVillers, F. D.;Dotson, William; DuBruney, Alexander T.;Egriel, O. C.;Franklin, W. R.;Gallahan, Martin;Haydon, A. B.;Henry, Jacob;Houstoun, Patrick;Irvine, Eliza; Jenckes, Ebenezer;Jorden, William;Kieffer, Frederick;Melson, Martha Matthews;Miller, Henrietta;Mitchell, Peter;Neyle, S.; Oliver, Charles;Robinson, John;Saunders, Ellenor;Sears, Susanna; Sulfuer, John;Taylor, Henry;Taylor, William;Wagner, John;Wallace, James;Wilkinson, John;Wood, James
Chatham Will Bk L (1850-1861) Digital ImagesTestators: Abbott, Ophelia S.; Abendanone, Grace;Abrahams, orothea;Babliest, Besty, free black;Barnard, Catherine E.;Barry, John;Bartholmess, John;Bartow, Theodosius;Bee, Sarah W.;Berrien, John McPherson;Bolton, Sarah;Bradley, Sarah Jane;Brooks, Sarah L.;Brown, Gilbert J. G.;Bruen, Peter;Burroughs, Benjamin; Campbell, Harriet T.;Cannon, Catherine Mrs.;Cass, John; Cassels, Samuel S. (or Capels); Cavenaugh, Margaret; Charlton, Robert M.;Cleary, James; Collins, Thomas; Cooper, Thomas;Courtner, Susan;Cowper, Mary Anna;Cremin, Cornelius;Cuyler, Ann D.;Cullen, Hugh;Daily, John;Damer, John;Daniel, T. S.;DeLaMeottee, Jacob (translates to DeLaMottee);Densler, Mary M.;Diamond, Robert;Dibble, Samuel P.; Dillon, Margaret;Dorgan, Morty;Dotson, Matthew;Douville, Rebecca, widow;Duffy, Ellen, widow of Terence;Duffy, Patrick;Edwards, Maria;Elliott, Ralph E.;Evans, Sophia;Fairchild, David;Falligant, John G.;Felt, Joseph;Fleetwood, Green;Freind, Jacob;Fulton, Elizabeth;Garl, Francis Haner;Gerkin, Martin;Gibbons, Caroline G.; Gibbons, William;Gilbert, James B.;Giles, William;Glen, George; Gordon, George;Green, Thomas;Grimball, Mary Ann;Guerard, Robert Godin;Guilmartin, John F.;Habersham, Sarah;Habersham, Stephen; Harnon, Abraham;Haupt, Henry;Haupt, John;Healy, Catharine, alias Farley;Heyward, Maria Louisa;Hodgens, Mary;Holland, John; Hover, John;Hunter, John;Hutchison, Robert;James, Margaret; Jewett, Eliza Ann;Johnston, William W.;Jones, Sarah, widow of William;Juhan, Mary;Kane, Daniel;Keller, Paul;Kelly, John J.; Love, James;Mackay, William;MacKenzie, Henry Charles;Marsh, Mulford;Marshall, Andrew;Marshall, Joseph;Martin, Patrick; Mathau, Margaret;Maxwell, Mary, widow;McAllister, Charlotte E.; McDonald, Margaret;McIntire, James;Morel, Ann;Nagle, Nancy; Newfville, Mary;Norton, Ann S., widow;Nosbrand, George; Nuttman, Samuel;O'Donnell, Owen;Oliver, George;O'Reilly, Owens; Owens, George W.;Palin, James;Pendergast, Michael;Pettibone, Sarah;Postell, Jane Eliza, widow;Potter, James;Potter, Thomas; Quantock, William Sr.;Quantock, William;Raiford, Robert; Reed, Charles;Reid, John;Reilly, Elizabeth;Reilly, Julia Ann, widow of Philip;Rhodes, Robert John;Richardson, Cosmo P.; Roberts, Eliza;Robertson, William;Robinson, William;Rode, Henry; Roden, Bernard;Sandergreen, Ann C.;Saseliffe, Abram;Sausey, Joachim R.;Scott, Margaret;Screven, James P.;Scudder,Amos;Shaffer, Jacob;Sharpe, James;Sheftall, Judith;Smets, Alexander Augustus;Snider, Benjamin;Stafford, Mary Ann;Stafford, William G.; Starr, William;Stirk, James Elton;Strous, John H.;Suers, John; Telfair, Margaret;Toley or Foley, Owen;Truehelut, Francis;Turel, John G.;Ulmer, Philip;Wade, William;Wait, George S.;Waldburg, George M.;Walden, Charles Carroll;Wallace, Norman;Wardrobe, Harriett Louisa;Washburn, Joseph;Webb, James F.;Westman, John L.; Willberger, Peter;Williams, Martha Ann, wife of William Thaddeus; Wills, Ashbel;Winkler, Shadrack N.;Woodhopter, Sarah;Wright, William;Wyer, Henry Otis;Zitterouer, Charles
Chatham Tax Digest for 1793 Digital Images
Index to Chatham Estate Inventories, etc. 1783-1788 Digital Images
Index to Chatham Estate Inventories, etc. 1794-1805 Digital Images
Index to Chatham Wills, Book A, 1775-1801 (image)
Index to Chatham Wills, Book B, 1777-1787 (image)
Complete Card Index Files (typed) of All Wills, Estates, etc. in Chatham County for Specific Surnames have been added to Georgia Pioneers This is an excellent resource for locating the many, many estate records and references in Chatham County. All of the index file in the Chatham County Court House has been filmed, from A to Z and is available on this website. This reference is a boom to those researching Chatham County, and should be examined first because it contains so much information, viz: what Country (or other State) they came from, date of birth, date of death, names of other heirs. All of Chatham County records have been preserved and thus are extensive. The old records have been placed in storage in a separate location and to examine them one must order them sent to the court house in advance.
Index to Chatham County Wills and Estates, Surnames A to Z (1733 to 1838)
Chatham County Marriages from newspapers 1886-1887
Map of Chatham County
Map of the Savannah River Plantations
Origins of Early Chatham County Residents from the Notes of Jeannette Holland Austin
1898 City Directory of Savannah
1899 City Directory of Savannah
Miscellaneous Court House Documents (Digital Images) BROWN. Ann Brown, administratrix of Estate of James Brown, deceased (1799 Letters of Administration
COPP. Letters of Administration of Mary and Dr. James Brown, exrs LWT of John Copp of Savannah
CROP. Inventory of Estate of John Crop (1796)
DELANNOY. Last Will and Testament of John D. Delannoy, 1876.
GRAHAM, John, Esq., Inventory of Slaves (image),Loyalist Claim in Great Britian 1774-1784
GWINNETT, Ann, LWT (1785) (image) of Charleston
McLEAN, John, Transcript of LWT (1775)
NORMENT. Deed of William and Elizabeth Norment to Slaughter Cowling 25 June 1795
SHEFTALL, Levi, LWT (1725), image of original document
-See Names (Testators) in the following will books. The wills and other original documents have been digitized (Digital Images of original documents) are available on this website.
Index of Names in Chatham County Will Bk 1777-1787
Index of Names in Chatham County Will Bk D 1788-1791
Index of Names in Will Book E 1791-1801
Index of Names in Chatham County Will Bk F 1801-1807
Index of Names in Chatham County Will Bk G 1807-1817
Index of Names in Chatham County Will Bk H 1817-1827
Index of Names in Chatham County Will Bk I 1827-1840
Index of Names in Chatham County Will Bk L 1850-1862
Index of Chatham County Superior Court Records for 1804
- Savannah Residents of 1738.
- Savannah Town Assistants.
- Savannah Bailiffs Officers.
- Savannah Baptisms 1735-1738.
- Martyn's Map of Savannah.
- Savannah Conservators of the Peace.
- Savannah Town Constables.
- Savannah Malcontents of 1738.
- Savannah Store Keepers.
- Savannah Town Lots, 1745-7,1756.
- Savannah Lots Yamacraw Bluff, 1760.
- 1759 Savannah Wharf Lots, 1759.
Button Gwinnett's Last Will and Testament....a digital images of the Original document is found on Georgia Pioneers
See more historical videos about people and places
Appling | Banks| Baker| Baldwin| Bartow| Berrien| Bibb| Brooks| Bryan| Bulloch| Burke| Butts| Calhoun| Camden| Campbell| Carroll| Cass (also see Bartow)| Catoosa| Charlton| Chatham| Chattooga| Chattahoochee| Cherokee| Clarke| Clay| Clayton| Clinch| Cobb| Coffee| Columbia| Coweta| Crawford| Dade| Dawson| Decatur| Dekalb| Dodge| Dooly| Dougherty| Douglas| Early| Echols| Effingham| Elbert| Emanuel| Fannin| Fayette| Floyd| Forsyth| Franklin| Fulton| Gilmer| Glascock| Glynn| Gordon| Greene| Gwinnett| Habersham| Hall| Hancock| Haralson| Harris| Hart| Heard| Henry| Houston| Irwin| Jackson| Jasper| Jefferson| Johnson| Jones| Laurens| Lee| Liberty| Lincoln| Lowndes| Lumpkin | Macon| Madison| Marion| McDuffie| McIntosh| Meriwether| Miller| Milton| Mitchell| Montgomery| Morgan| Monroe| Murray| Muscogee| Newton| Oglethorpe| Paulding| Peach | Pickens | Pierce | Pike | Polk | Pulaski | Putnam | Quitman | Rabun | Randolph | Richmond | Rockdale | Schley | Screven | Spalding | Stewart | Sumter | Talbot | Taliaferro | Tattnall | Taylor | Telfair | Terrell | Thomas | Towns| Troup| Twiggs| Union| Upson| Walker| Walton| Ware | Warren | Washington | Wayne | White | Whitfield | Wilcox| Wilkes| Wilkinson | Worth
Marriages, bible records, traced families, pensions, cemeteries, obituaries, and much more. For more details, please What's What
FreebiesGeorgia Historical videos
American Pioneer Series
How to Trace Families
Remember Me: Photos
Back Issues of Lost Generations
Best Genealogy Blogs
Old Georgia Families
Other Excellent GENEALOGY WEBSITES
History in Old Savannah
Subscribe to Olde Savannah blog
- Savannah in the Revolution (video)Click here for video "Find your Ancestors on Georgia Pioneers" Digital Images of oldest Chatham County Wills dating from 1777 to ca 1860. Easy to view on your computer. "Subscribe and view documents " Brickwall Subscription Subscribe to www.georgiapioneers.com for 1 year - $122.00. This subscription includes free brick wall help with one of your Georgia Families. After you subscribe, please submit the issue here Special Upgrade Bargain this month for Bloggers. Subscribe to 6 genealogy websites and get 18 months for $150 (rather than 12 months). Click here to take advantageDigital Images of Chatham County Wills and Estates…
- Settlers to Savannah from Beverley, EnglandArms of Charles II; visited Beverley while the Clay family tenureJoseph Clay was born in Beverley, England, and settled in Savannah. Clay & Woodruff, attorney, practised law in Savannah for many years. Later he was Judge of the U. S. District Court and a member of the State Convention which adopted the Constitution of 1798. The biography of Joseph Clay is found under "biographies" in Georgia Pioneers "Find your Ancestors on Georgia Pioneers" Digital Images of oldest Chatham County Wills dating from 1777 to ca 1860. Easy to view on your computer. "Subscribe and view documents " Brickwall Subscription Subscribe to…
- Tallow Candle-makersTallow Chandlers' Hall, Dowgate Hill, London, occupied this site from 1462Calwell, John, tallow chandler of Temple-Barin in London which he attempted to have as a trade in Frederica, but soon quit it. Wife: Constance. Had two children by 1738, and another one by 1743. In Frederica, Calwell was tythingman and Third Bailiff. Tallow is animal fat. Tallow Chandlers engaged in tallow candle making and also in the trade of oils. Traditionally, tallow chandlers operated separately from wa chandlers. Beeswax candles were used in churches and noble houses, while tallow candles were used in other homes. The Calwell biography is found…
- John Harding, BlacksmithBlacksmiths and other tradesmen were essential to colony lifeHarding, John, blacksmith. Harding's first wife died June of 1737, and he afterwards married the widow of George Spencer and resided in Spencer's house in Frederica. At the time, Rev. Norris was accused of having raped Miss Penner, so Harding refused to be married by the minister. Instead, he made a public announcement in the town of his intention. Harding and the Widow Spencer had four children, including a son named Isaac by 1743. A sketch of him is found in "Biographical Sketches" in Georgia Pioneers Video of Savannah "Find your…
- Colonel Mark CarrSunbury Cemetery. Few tombstones remain legible. Colonel Carr may be buried here.Colonel Mark Carr, Esquire, was probably the most enterprising of Georgia colonists. He was a trusted commander under General James Oglethorpe against the Spanish's command. He was certainly regarded as the greatest improver in the Georgia Colony, owning extensive plantations in St. Patrick's Parish and several town lots at Frederica. But the first plantation was called The Hermitage at a place suggested by General Oglethorpe on St. Simon's Island. It was one of very few in that location and was in constant danger of raids by the Spanish Indians. It…
- Sir Frances BathurstSir Bathurst resided near the home of Thomas CaustonAmong the poor souls who came to Savannah was Sir Francis Bathurst (1675-1736), who was born in Lechlade, Gloucestershire. He was the heir from a long line of dukes to an estate of debts and it was this situation which encouraged him to take his chances in the new colony. Upon his arrival he obtained a land grant of 200 acres of land on Augustine Creek. He brought several servants with him to Savannah, however, they did not survive very long in the hot climate. Bathurst's story is one of great sorrow.…
- Tomochichi, Loyal FriendChief TomochichiWhen James Oglethorpe found his way into the region now known as Savannah (from South Carolina), he was fortunate to meet up with a friendly group of Indians. Chief Tomochichi befriended the new colonists and took a personal liking to Oglethorpe. He gave Mary Musgrove who had been educated in South Carolina to speak the English language as an interpreter. Throughout the chief's life, they were friends and when he died he asked to be buried in Savannah. Some notes and newspaper accounts found at the Savannah Historical Society report that the Yamacraw chief was buried at Wright's Square.…
- The Beauty of the Earth (video)click to play "Find your Ancestors on Georgia Pioneers" Digital Images of oldest Chatham County Wills dating from 1777 to ca 1860. Easy to view on your computer. "Subscribe and view documents " Brickwall Subscription Subscribe to www.georgiapioneers.com for 1 year - $122.00. This subscription includes free brick wall help with one of your Georgia Families. After you subscribe, please submit the issue here Digital Images of Chatham County Wills and Estates are available to members of Georgia Pioneers
- Silk Hope PlantationThere were several plantations of the same name. The first known Silk Hope plantation belonged to Sir Nathaniel Johnson, Governor of South Carolina 1702 to 1709, born 1644 in Durham, England. He settled in Charleston ca 1683 and built Silk Hope in old Berkeley County, Huger, South Carolina. After the American Revolution, Joseph Butler of Charleston owned thousands of acres around Charleston and as far south as the Ogeechee River which bordered Georgia and South Carolina. He must have acquired the land after Governor Johnson. The family planted rice and acquired a vast number of acreage north of Savannah on the South Carolina side…
- Duel of William CrawfordWilliam H. Crawford was kin to the Crawfords of Scottish descent from Virginia who settled in the backcountry in 1643, then came into South Carolina and Georgia. They followed the back trail and crossed the Savannah River to the fertile midlands. William had his early education in the Old Field Schools, later on conducting one of those schools not far from Augusta. Ultimately he rose to the office of Senator, then Secretary of War and Secretary of the Treasury. He was also the chosen candidate to run for president of the United States, however, suffered a paralyzing stroke of apoplexy…
|Become a member of the Pioneer Families Community, and enjoy the benefits of a network of genealogy experts: including access to all eight websites, books written by renowned Georgia genealogist Jeannette Holland Austin, and personal help with your research for any family in GA, NC, SC, or VA. A full year of membership with all these benefits for less than $13 a month, compared with up to $45 a month at ancestry.com|
|SAVE MONEY! Click on Annual Membership button - $150.00 for one year.|