Pictured is the DeKalb County Court House, Decatur, Georgia and the Stone Mountain Grist Mill. DeKalb County was created in 1822 after the Muskogee (Creeks) Indians ceded the lands by treaty and was taken from Henry, Gwinnett and Fayette Counties. It was named for Baron Johann DeKalb, a German hero of the American Revolution. In 1853 Fulton County was created from the northern portion of DeKalb County. Many of the settlers to DeKalb County were in search of new lands and were farmers. When researching DeKalb County, Henry (the parent County) and Fulton Counties should also be researched. Unfortunately, the estate records do not begin until 1840. If you have an ancestor who resided within the boundaries of the present-day Atlanta, those records will be found in DeKalb County. Remember, the journey from Atlanta to present-day Decatur to file a deed, will, or other record was quite a trip.
DeKalb County Probate Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
- DeKalb County County Marriages 1885-1886 from newspapers
- Map of DeKalb County County
- DeKalb County Wills & Estates 1841-1869
- DeKalb County Wills & Estates 1870-1889
- DeKalb County Wills & Estates 1890-1919
- DeKalb County Appr. & Returns 1852-1858
Indexes to Probate Records
- Index to Deed Book L 1846-1852
- Index to Deed Book M 1850-1853
- Index to Deed Book N 1852-1854
- Index to Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1842-1852
- Index to Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1852-1859
- Index to Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1858-1863
- Index to Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1863-1868
- Index to Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1868-1884
- Adair, Thomas O., estate
- Adair, William, deed dated 1849
- Adams, W. D., estate
- Akin, Martha, estate
- Allen, William, estate
- Anderson, William C., estate
- Argoe, Robert, estate
- Armstrong, John, estate
- Collier, John, Annual Return of Estate
- Evans, John, deed dated 1850
- Holland, Edmund W. (deeds) 1851, 1852
- Jordan, Solomon, deed dated 1851
- Leitch, Arthur, Estate
- Perkinson, Dempsey, LWT (1876)
- Plaster, Benjamin, Sr.
- Smith, David, LWT (1853)
- Spain, William S., Inventory and Appraisement of Estate.
- Sprayberry, Benjamin, LWT (1848).
- Sprayberry, Brice, LWT (1876).
- Sprayberry, W. H. E., LWT (1911).
- Waits, Sarah, LWT (1869)
- Utoy Baptist Church, Ft. McPherson, Georgia (members)
- Index to Burials in the Decatur Cemetery
|Become a member of the Pioneer Families Community, and enjoy the benefits of a network of genealogy experts: including access to all eight websites, books written by renowned Georgia genealogist Jeannette Holland Austin, and personal help with your research for any family in GA, NC, SC, or VA. A full year of membership with all these benefits for less than $13 a month, compared with up to $45 a month at ancestry.com|
|SAVE MONEY! Click on Annual Membership button - $150.00 for one year.|