Wilkes County Records
Pictured is the Wilkes County Court House, Phillips Mill Baptist Church, and scenes in Wilkes County. Wilkes County was created in 1777 from ceded lands of Cherokee and Creek Indians. People who resided in Wilkes County are also found in Warren and Oglethorpe Counties. Between 1790 and 1854, the legislature took land from Wilkes County to form Elbert County (1790), Oglethorpe County (1793), and Lincoln County (1796), and to help form Warren County (1793) and Taliaferro County (1825). The county seat is Washington, Georgia. Lincoln County should always be researched along with Wilkes. Many of the first settlers came from Virginia and North Carolina to take up the ceded lands (from the Indians) during the late 1700's. Early Settlers: John Heard, William Rasberry, James Gray, David Montgomery, John Marks, Bernard Zimmerman, George Bailey, William Mathis, Solomon Ellis and others.
Wilkes County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Indexes to Probate Records
- General Index to Wilkes County Estates, A-G.
- General Index to Wilkes County Estates, H-L.
- General Index to Wilkes County Estates, M-Q.
- General Index to Wilkes County Estates, R-Z.
- Index to Wilkes County Will Book C, 1786-1806
Testators: Bailey, George; Bowen, John; Cochran, Samuel; Cochran, Samuel (2); Daniel, William; Ellis, Solomon; Evans, Susannah; Gibson, Walter; Gooden, William; Gray, James; Heard, John; Lunceford, William; Marks, John; Mathis, William; Montgomery, David; Rasberry, William; Rice, Nathaniel G.; Smith, John; Tatum, Peter; Thomas, Philip; Zimmerman, BernardMarriages
- Wilkes County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Map of Wilkes County, 1955.
- Map of Original Wilkes County.
- Map of Wilkes County Settlers.
- Origins of Early Settlers to Wilkes County
- Members of Sardis Church Members in 1805.
- Anthony, Joseph, Estate (1815) of.
- Arnold, Moses, Estate (1810) of.
- Favor, Henry, guardianship of.
- Favor, John, Sr., Estate (1833) (Image).
- Favor, John, Estate (1850) (Image).
- Favor, John, Inventory (1818).
- Favor, John, Estate (1818) (Image).
- Favor, Matthew, Bond for Estate of John Favor Sr., 1829 (Image).
- Favor, Sanders, Guardians of (1819).
- Keith, George W., Annual Return for the minor children of William A. Keith, deceased, 1850 (Image).
- Marks, John, estate (image) (1800).
- McLane, John, LWT, Bk 1792-1801, pp. 115-117.
- McLane, Mariney, LWT, Bk 1792-1801, pp. 240.
|Become a member of the Pioneer Families Community, and enjoy the benefits of a network of genealogy experts: including access to all eight websites, books written by renowned Georgia genealogist Jeannette Holland Austin, and personal help with your research for any family in GA, NC, SC, or VA. A full year of membership with all these benefits for less than $13 a month, compared with up to $45 a month at ancestry.com|
|SAVE MONEY! Click on Annual Membership button - $150.00 for one year.|