DeKalb County Records
DeKalb County Court House, Decatur, Georgia. DeKalb County was created in 1822 after the Muskogee (Creeks) Indians ceded the lands by treaty and was taken from Henry, Gwinnett and Fayette Counties. It was named for Baron Johann DeKalb, a German hero of the American Revolution. In 1853 Fulton County was created from the northern portion of DeKalb County. Many of the settlers to DeKalb County were in search of new lands and were farmers. When researching DeKalb County, Henry (the parent County) and Fulton Counties should also be researched. Unfortunately, the estate records do not begin until 1840. If you have an ancestor who resided within the boundaries of the present-day Atlanta, those records will be found in DeKalb County. Remember, the journey from Atlanta to present-day Decatur to file a deed, will, or other record was quite a trip.
DeKalb County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
- DeKalb County County Marriages 1885-1886 from newspapers
- Map of DeKalb County County
- DeKalb County Wills & Estates 1841-1869
- DeKalb County Wills & Estates 1870-1889
- DeKalb County Wills & Estates 1890-1919
- DeKalb County Appr. & Returns 1852-1858
Indexes to Probate Records
- Index to DeKalb County Deed Book L 1846-1852
- Index to DeKalb County Deed Book M 1850-1853
- Index to DeKalb County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1842-1852
- Index to DeKalb County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1852-1859
- Index to DeKalb County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1858-1863
- Index to DeKalb County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1863-1868
- Index to DeKalb County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, 1868-1884
- Adair, Thomas O., estate
- Adair, William, deed dated 1849
- Adams, W. D., estate
- Akin, Martha, estate
- Allen, William, estate
- Anderson, William C., estate
- Argoe, Robert, estate
- Armstrong, John, estate
- Collier, John, Annual Return of Estate
- Evans, John, deed dated 1850
- Jordan, Solomon, deed dated 1851
- Leitch, Arthur, Estate
- Perkinson, Dempsey, LWT (1876)
- Plaster, Benjamin, Sr.
- Smith, David, LWT (1853)
- Spain, William S., Inventory and Appraisement of Estate.
- Sprayberry, Benjamin, LWT (1848).
- Sprayberry, Brice, LWT (1876).
- Sprayberry, W. H. E., LWT (1911).
- Waits, Sarah, LWT (1869)
- Utoy Baptist Church, Ft. McPherson, Georgia (members)
Free Research extended through Feb. 28, 2013. New subscribers to Georgia Pioneers.com will receive free genealogy help on one Georgia family. (This can be a single subscription, or bundle deal). I will work on the name submitted until the end of February, so best to get your subscription in early to receive more of my time. What you do is send the information via email to: email@example.com and I will post results as obtained to the "Working Ancestral Files" category of the Library. Login first. Subscribe now
Share on Facebook
Follow via email