Franklin County Wills and EstatesFranklin County Court House. Franklin was created in 1784 and named for Benjamin Franklin. The original territory was ceded by the Cherokees in the Treaty of Long Swamp in 1782 and by the Creeks at the Treaty of Augusta in 1783. At that time it included all of Barrow and Jackson Counties and portions of Oconee, Clarke, Madison,Banks, Hart, Stephens, Gwinnett, Hall and Habersham counties, as well as the northwestern corner of South Carolina (present-day Pickens, Oconee and Anderson counties). Researchers should also research these South Carolina counties where many of the first residents of Franklin were located. The court house was constructed in 1788.This land was among the last land in Georgia to be distributed under the headright system. In 1789 the headright system passed from state to county government, and the state began to grant hugh tracts of land to speculators. These policies ended with the Pine Barrens Scandal and the Yazoo Land Fraud. of 1795-1796. In 1803, the headright system was replaced by the 1803 land lottery. County business was conducted in the home of Warren Philpot in (Sweet) Gum Log on the Tugaloo. George Walton, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was the first chief justice. In 1788 a courthouse was approved by the state legislature but was not built until 1794. It was constructed on the old John Mullins' Ford on the Tugaloo River. Later, in 1806 a courthouse was completed in downtown Carnesville. Franklin Springs was a popular stop with early visitors and by 1800 a fledgling tourist industry of sorts began to develop, although the land was still remote. A popular tavern and resort was Traveller's Rest. When Carnesville was established in 1811 and became the county seat, another court house was built there in 1826, adjacent to the old one. This building was torn down to make way for a new court house in 1906. No wills or estates exist for this county at the Franklin County Court House prior to 1899. The early wills and deeds are probably located at the local historical society in Carnesville.
Click on Me
Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Indexes to Franklin County Probate Records
Digital Images of Franklin County Wills, Appraisements, Inventories 1786-1813
- Index to Franklin County Wills, Appraisements, Inventories (partial) 1786-1813.
- Index to Franklin County Wills 1848-1865.
- Index to Franklin County Wills, Inventories, Guardians 1814-1829.
- Index to Franklin County Inferior Court Petitions 1799-1805Names of Testators: Barrett, Ninean | Baugh, David | Baugh, David | Berry, Andrew | Berry, Andrew | Berry, A. | Berry, Armsted | Bobo, Lewis | Bowen, Jonathan | Bratcher, Amos | Brewer, Ann | Brown, Augustus | Brown, Hugh | Burk, John | Bush, Daniel | Carlton, Jacob | Carlton, Jacob | Chandler, Shadrick | Christian, Elijah | Christian, Elijah | Christian, John | Christian, John | Christian, John | Christian, Rufus | Christian, William | Clark, David | Clayton, Charles | Cleveland, J. | Cleveland, John | Cleveland, John | Cleveland, John | Conn, John | Connally, John | Cooper, Cornelius | Davis, Richard | Davis, Richard | Dorsey, Basil | Dyer, Martin | Edwards, Isaac | Forrister, Owen | Forrister, Owen | Garrison, Christopher | Gilbert, John | Gilbert, John | Gilbert, Mary | Gilbert, Mary | Glenn, Joseph | Gordon, Joseph | Gorham, John | Gorham, John | Gorham, John | Haggins, Cormack | Haley, Isaiah | Hall, Matthew | Hardin, William | Harrington, Richard | Hays, James | Hendricks, Isaac | Hendricks, Isaac | Hendricks, Jacob | Henly, Edmund | Holbrook, John | Holbrook, John | Hollingsworth, Samuel | Hollingsworth, Samuel | Hollingsworth orphans | Hooper, Obadian | Hooper, Obadiah | Howell, Matthew | Howell, Matthew | Howell, Matthew | Hudson, Joachim | Hudson, Joseph | Isom, William | Isom, William | Jenkins, Thomas | Johnson, Joseph | Jones, Arthur | Jones, Arthur | Liner, Adam | Little, James | Lockheart, James | Lowrey, John | Lowrey, John | Lyner, Henry | Martin, Charles C. | McKee orphans | McKie, John | McKie, John | McKie, John | McKie, John | Mercer, Robert | Molder, Daniel | Morgain, John | Morton, Charles | Morton, Charles, his will | Murphy, John | Nail, Joseph | Nail, Joseph | Neal, Joseph | Partain, James | Payne, Champness | Payne, Charles | Payne, Cleveland | Payne, Cleveland | Payne, John | Payne, John | Payne, Mary | Payne, Thomas | Perryman, David | Person, Samuel E. | Prewett, Joseph or Japeth | Prewett, Phillip | Prickett, George | Reaves, Benjamin | Rice, Edward | Roberts, Elizabeth | Robertson, William | Robertson, William | Shipley, John | Sparks, James | Stephens, William | Stevenson, William | Stevenson, William | Stevenson orphans | Strickland, Jacob | Strong, Elijah | Taylor, Charles | Taylor, Richard | Thomas, Philip | Thomas, Philip | Thompson, Peter | Thompson, Peter | Thompson, William | Thrasher, Benjamin | Thrasher, Robert | Vaughan, Benjamin | Vaughan, Benjamin | Walters, Robert | Walton, Jesse | Walton, Mary | Walton, Mary, her will | Walton, Mary | Ware, John | Watkins, William | Watkins, William | Watkins, William | Wheeler, William | Whitaker, Isaac | Whitaker, Isaac | Whitaker, Samuel | Whitaker, Samuel | Williamson, Anday | Williamson, Peter | Williamson, Peter | Williamson, Sally | Williamson, William | Williamson, William | Willis, Joseph | Wilson, Mary | Winningham, Samuel | Wofford, James | Woodward, Thomas | Workman, Jonathan | Workman, Jonathan | Wright, Obadiah | Wright, Obadiah | Wright, ObadiahDigital Images of Franklin County Wills and Estates, Book B, 1814 to 1824Names of Testators: Anthony, John;Arendal, Nathaniel; Ayres, Asa ;Ayres, John ;Bagley, Henry ;Bagwell, Winkfield;Baker, Benjamin ;Barnett, Isaac ;Baugh, John ;Beeson, Isaac ;Bellamy, Richard ;Blackwell, William ;Brown, Augustin ;Bryan, John ; Bryan, Sarah ;Chalmers, John Sr. ;Chatham, Epps ;Chatham, Stephen ;Christian, Drewry ;Christian, John ;Connally, Charles ;Connally, Dempsey ;Davis, Thomas Sr. ;Garrison, Christopher ;Gilbert, James ;Gilbert, John ;Haney, Thomas ;Harris, Allen ;Hollingsworth, Jacob ;Hooper, William ;Hunt, Daniel ;Jones, Dudley ;King, Benjamin ;King, James ;King, Thomas ;Laughridge, Robert ;Little, James ;Lowry, James Sr. ;Manley, Daniel ;Manley, Isaac;McCracken, William ;Meridith, David ;Miller, John ;Morgain, Elizabeth;Morgan, John ;Neal, Major ;Neal, Robert ;Osborne, Nelson ;Patrick, William ;Payne, Thomas ;Payne, William ; Pierce, Shearwood ;Prickett, George ;Ramsey, James ;Reynolds, William ;Rice, Charles ;Roland, Robert ;Row, Charles ;Rucker, George ;Sanders, Moses ;Scott, Archibald ;Sewell, Samuel ; Sims, Martin ;Stewart, Robert ;Swift, Flower ;Tate, Ann ; Tate, William ;Thompson, Jesse ;Thurmond, Fountain ;Thurmond, James ;Turk, John ;Vaughn, George ;Walton, Jesse ;Ward, Bryant ; Westbrook, Stephen ;White, William ;Williamson, Alexander ; Williamson, Thomas ;Williamson, William ;Woods, RichardDigital images of Franklin County Wills and Estates, Book C, 1824 to 1849Testators:Akins, Thomas ;Allen, John ;Anthony, David ;Avery, Henry ;Ayres, Moses ;Bellamy, John ;Brawner, Jesse ;Bradly, Asa ; Brown, John R. ;Burge, John ;Burgess, Elias ;Burton, John ;Bush, William ;Carpenter, Joshua ;Carrol, Edward ;Caudell, David ; Chandler, Lewis ;Clarkson, John ;Clements, Lucy ;Cockburn, George;Cook, Archibald ;Covington, Thomas ;Davis, Thomas ; Ford, William ;Glover, William ;Gooddy, George ;Gray, Isaac ; Harbour, Esaias ;Harrison, Benjamin ;Hays, Jonathan ;Hemphill, Robert ;Herring, Zacheus ;Hise, Josiah ;Hollbrooks, Jesse ; Holmes, Thomas ;Hooper, Matthew ;Jackson, James ;Jolly, William ; Jones, Russell ;Jones, William ;Key, John ;Leach, Burdel; Maldin, Richard ;Martin, James Sr. ;Mays, John ;Mays, Thomas ; McEnter, Joseph; McKee, Samuel ;Miller, James ;Mitchell, James ; Mitchell, Roland ;Mitchell, William ;Morris, John ;Neal, William ;Nicholls, Julius ;Orr, Elizabeth ;Parks, Henry ;Parks, Sarah ; Payne, Ann ;Payne, Elizabeth ;Payne, John ;Phillips, Samuel ; Philips, Stephen ;Prewett, Samuel ;Pruitt, Hezekiah ;Pulliam, John ;Pulliam, William ;Ralston, Lewis ;Ramsey, Ely ;Ramsey, Rachel ;Ramsey, William; Reid, John L. ;Robertson, Jane ;Sanders, Moses Sr. ;Sartain, Joel ;Slaton, Benjamin ;Sloan, David ; Stone, James ;Stovall, George Sr. ;Strange, John Sr. ;Strickland, Jacob Sr. ;Talor, John ;Thomas, William ;Thornton, Dozier ; Toney, Charles Sr. ;Truman, Richard ;Vaughn, Jaires ;Walters, Robert ;White, Mary ;Wilkinson, Elisha ;Wilkinson, Lucy ;Wilkinson, William ;Williams, Nathan ;York, WilliamDigital Images of Franklin County Wills 1899-1900Testators:Franklin County Will Book 1899-1911 (digital images)Miscellaneous
Adams, A. W., Adams, Mead Anderson, Attaway, William S., Arvail, James L., Beasley, John R., Bond, James W., Bond, J. E., Bond, J. J., Borum, F. D., Borum, Harriett E., Brown, George T., Brown, James L., Brown, W. F., Burroughs, Lucy, Carmichael, D. L., Carson, R. H., Cook, William T. O., Crenshaw, J. L., Duncan, M. A., Gilliland, M. A., Ginn, Stephen, Guinn, B. A., Haley, M. A. (Mrs.), Hall, W. C., Harrison, K. B., Harrison, R. B., Holbrook, Jane S. Mrs.), Johnson, James W., Jones, Seborn, Lecroy, T. C., Lee, Richard, Lewallen, Martha J., Little, Mollie V., Little, Ortho, March, A. J., Mauldin, Ann W., McFarland, Jane H., McMurry, M. M., Miller, James, Moore, John A., Patrick, William J., Payne, Elizabeth, Payne, E. M., Phillips, William G., Randall, John W., Rampley, M. C., Ridgeway, Robert H., Sewell, John K., Stovall, Henry, Strange, Jesse D., Swilling, Samuel Y., Terrell, William M., Underwood, J. A., Vandever, B. P., Vandiver, E. C., Veal, J. D., Watkins, D. O., and Westbrook, Susan F.
- Origins of Early Franklin County Settlers.
Deed of Jacob Strickland
Deed of Isaac Strickland
|Become a member of the Pioneer Families Community, and enjoy the benefits of a network of genealogy experts: including access to all eight websites, books written by renowned Georgia genealogist Jeannette Holland Austin, and personal help with your research for any family in GA, NC, SC, or VA. A full year of membership with all these benefits for less than $13 a month, compared with up to $45 a month at ancestry.com|
|SAVE MONEY! Click on Annual Membership button - $150.00 for one year.|